Skip to main content

Jang Ok Jung: A drama that kept its word "Live for Love"

      This recent sageuk drama, Jang Ok Jung, Live for Love is a 24 episode drama made by SBS. The lead roles were Kim Tae Hee and Yoo Ah In. By just reading the title itself, we would all know that this drama circles the life of the most controversial woman in the Joseon Era, Jang Hee Bin. 




      As I first learned about the drama, I certainly got really excited. I had mixed emotions having joy for having a new and an interesting drama to watch while also having doubts on how the writers would conceptualize Jang Ok Jung's life. If you really are interested in sageuk dramas, you would certainly know that Jang Hee Bin is such an evil character in history as she has been able to shake the strong built government during her time. I was really interested on how this drama would be able to change the viewers perception on Lady Jang and as I just finished watching the drama, I would certainly say this:

      It was a WELL THOUGHT drama and I would bow down to the director and writers of the drama. I really didn't expect myself to cry for Jang Hee Bin. I never would have thought that I would feel bad for her or even given such sympathy to her at all. And because of this, I would say the drama was WELL MADE because they were able to touch and capture the minds and hearts of the people. I really enjoyed every single episode of it! :)

      Kim Tae Hee also did her part really well. Yes, she said that she may have been worried because the drama shows a different side of Lady Jang and I would honestly say it was such a difficult role for her to take. But what she showed to us was genuinely great and honestly I couldn't ask for anything more. She gave her best on every scene and I would say she was the perfect Jang Hee Bin for this drama.


      Let's go into the drama this time. Overall, I was impressed because the drama really followed the important events of the Joseon History. I think it was a good idea to add Queen Inkyung though they may have placed her there so that they would have an excuse to use her for the scene where Jang Hee Bin prepared an altar and prayed for the late Queen to save her son. But the thought where Inkyung was around made me feel happy because one of my criteria of a sageuk drama is how they keep track on the right events in the history. 

       For the meeting of Lady Jang and King Sukjong even when they were little, was obviously cute. The kids who played the roles were fun to watch but I think the kiss scene was somehow a shock. You may call me old fashion or something but I think they were still too young for it and it really caught me off guard. Hehe well this is just my opinion anyway.

       I won't go through in detail on how they met and stuff (because I don't want to spoil anyone since you have to watch it!) but I just want to say that the most touching scene for me was when Lady Jang was still a court lady and the King was desperately after her. The words that the King said which was "I will never let go of your hand. I will promise this as the King of Joseon" made my heart leap and I felt a lump up my throat I couldn't say anything else. I was certainly overjoyed!

        The love that the king showed through out the drama was so affectionate and I even wished that there would still be a man who could love a woman just as much as how King Sukjong loved Jang Ok Jung. Jang Ok Jung on the other hand of course showed the same strong and affectionate love towards the king. 

       As the drama uncovers that all the wrong doings of Lady Jang was made because of her desires to fight for her love for the king and have revenge for those people who looked down on her having a blood line of a slave (since her mother was a slave) all made sense. I wasn't actually mad at her at all because in the end she was able to realize that what she did was wrong and she even tried to change herself. What I really appreciate about her character in this drama was it being realistic. Making the lead role commit failures but then once again stand and try to change for the better for her loved one. The drama wasn't focused on a character that made all the right decisions or a person who was just so lucky that everything she wanted came true but how hateful feelings and too much emotions could literally affect how you think and act as a person. I believe this was an important key that made the drama successful.

        Queen Inhyeon was also played well. I think the scene that I loved the most was when she and Jang Hee Bin reconciled with each other. Watching that scene somehow lifted a heavy weight on my shoulders. I was literally happy for them since I didn't expect them to forgive each other until the end. 
         We all know that Queen Inhyeon died with an unknown disease but as I watched her last scene with the king I was really kinda sad for her. I pitied her life actually and I wish the real Queen Inhyeon didn't felt that way as what Queen (in the drama) said and revealed to the king. What she wanted was only to love one man and to be loved also by that one single man. :(



        I just want to insert this. I was really shocked to see Lady Choi (a.k.a. Dong Yi) to play such an evil role. In the drama Dong Yi she was so angel like but here she was the complete opposite and I felt like choking her throat by myself because of how mad I was for her. 


        Anyways going to the last part which is the ending of the drama. Of course Jang must die because that was what happened in the history but I guess I liked that they placed a twist wherein the King let Jang escape but in the end Jang came back for her to protect her love and son. For me, it was the best decision she would have made; to offer her life for the people she loves. If I were in her shoes, I think I would have made the same decision too. Yes, it was truthfully painful to watch on how King Sukjong felt as Jang Hee Bin died and as he cried I cried as well. Watching the whole drama and on how Jang Hee Bin was being portrayed I feel that giving her a sentence of death is a bit too harsh but what can I say she must die to have the story set straight. 


         Last words? This drama is absolutely worth watching. I have always placed in my mind that Lady Jang is always evil but now I certainly think otherwise. I now believe that King Sukjong really loved Jang Hee Bin by just knowing that instead of deposing her as Queen Inhyeon was reinstated, she was just demoted to being Hee Bin once again. That fact alone may have given a hint that the King certainly cared for her.

         I hope my review for Jang Ok Jung helped and you all enjoyed reading it :) Please be free to comment below.

      I hope you can like my fanpage on facebook :) https://www.facebook.com/ILoveKoreanSageukDramas

-MieAlice







Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more..truly the best drama ever. I cried bucket of tears after watching this. I haven't gotten over it yet. thanks for this review

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didnt like this drama very much. since it very different from the history. whe i watch a saeguk drama, i hoping more accurate history or more or less based on history. the fact that jang okjung become a slave is kinda not right. Lady yoon, is commoner class also some of yoon women become a queen earlier,such as yeonsangun mother, deposed queen yoon and queen munjeong. this fact make it yoon family is somewhat prestigious family but cannot compete kim or even min family. jang's father is issued to be a wealthy merchant, mr jang or a high yangban class.
    if sukjong really love jang that much, he would title her as her concubine. not waiting after ingyong death and years without no heir with inhyun. i never believe that jang heebin is that cruel woman who tirsty of power. even in previous heebin drama like dong yi or royal story, she said itself that she loved sukjong and need to protect her son, that why she become greedy and remove inhyun.
    inhyun and choi not protayed fairly in this drama. why would they potrayed choi sukbin such a sly girl. well, they need the one to be blame for heebin death.

    but well, this drama based on romantical drama afterall. no doubt that roman scene is the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would like to get the full history of this drama despite all I got from it because it seems as if the story they told was not the same as in history .If u can tell me about it that would be great since I'm not a Korean and I didn't get to know it please consider it

      Delete
  3. I loved the drama.. But in the real world i would describe Sukjong as a man who easily changed his mind and his decision is only for political gain to make sure he get all the power he needed. No true love from him..just desire n lust..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rooftop Prince: A Captivating Love Story

"Even if 300 years will pass... I will still love you" - -- Lee Gak and Park Ha (Best quote ever!)      During my summer vacation, I started watching the new drama of SBS "Rooftop Prince" out of the habit of wanting to watch any sageuk drama that would be showing. But I didn't expect to fall in love with the drama so much. In my ranking of best sageuk dramas, Rooftop Prince became my 3rd best, obviously having my 1st and 2nd, Dae Jang Geum and Dong Yi which I have already reviewed about in my last posts.      So, this time I am giving my insights on another hit sageuk drama for this year, The Rooftop Prince. For the past few weeks, Rooftop Prince have been the hot topic for viewers who greatly enjoyed the drama. The plot of having to time travel from the Joseon Era into the current year is certainly a new and fresh story for the viewers; though now other dramas like Queen Inhyun's Man and Dr. Jin has also incorporated this concept.     I b

My Best Sageuk Drama: Dae Jang Geum Review

         This is my first post on this blog and I'm planning to place my reviews towards different sageuk dramas (Korean Historical Dramas)  that I have watched. My first ever sageuk drama is the most popular Dae Jang Geum aired on 2003,  (Jewel in the Palace) which was directed by Lee Byung Hoon and produced by  MBC . The drama starred Lee Young Ae as Seo Jang Geum and with her leading man Ji Jin Hee as Min Jung-ho.         First and for most this is the best Historical Drama for me. This drama has everything you want in a drama. For those who enjoys mouthwatering food, great scenery, costume, outstanding actors and actresses together with different touches of action,  pain, revenge, power, romance, comedy and passion; this drama is the best for you.          Unlike other reviews I'll be writing about how I think about this drama and not the synopsis since almost all reviews do it.      Dae Jang Geum shows great inspiration for women during times when females ar